Temporary health insurance in The Netherlands

If you have temporary employment in The Netherlands you are often required to apply for a Dutch health insurance.

Taking out health insurance in The Netherlands can sometimes be done through your Dutch employer. However, in most situations, it is easier to apply for a short-term health insurance policy online.

When is Dutch health insurance mandatory?

Expats or students are normally obliged to obtain a health insurance in The Netherlands when:

  • They have a temporary, part-time or full time job with a Dutch employer
  • They are self-employed in The Netherlands
  • Pay income tax in The Netherlands

When determining your insurance status, it does not matter whether the employee lives in The Netherlands or abroad.

Consider taking expat health insurance if you are working/living in The Netherlands temporarily, but you do not qualify for Dutch health basic insurance.

Koen Kuijper (Insurance expert)

Insurance obligation stops

Your obligation to have a Dutch health insurance usually stops when you resign from your job and leave The Netherlands.

In that case you are no longer covered through the Dutch social security system, which means you must also cancel your health insurance in The Netherlands. You will no longer need to pay any premiums, nor are you eligible for health insurance allowance (zorgtoeslag).

Imporant: when you resign from your job or are dismissed, but stay in The Netherlands, you may be eligible to receive social benefits, such as unemployment benefit (WW). In this case you must keep your Dutch health insurance.

Family members

Family members that reside in your country of residence are not able to take out health insurance in The Netherlands, except when your country of residence is a treaty country.

Family members that are living in a treaty country may be eligible for Dutch health insurance. In this case you need a E106/S1 form to co-insure any family members.

Treaty countries

Treaty countries are countries that lie within the EU or European Economic Area (EEA) or have a separate treaty with the Netherlands, such as Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Cape Verde, Croatia, Macedonia, Morocco, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey and Switzerland.

If the country of residence is not a treaty country with the Netherlands it will not be possible to co-inure family members. They will have to take out insurance in their country of residence or arrange private international insurance.

Financial contribution

Co-insured family members that are 18 years or older will have to pay a contribution under the Health insurance act (Zorgverzekeringswet, Zvw). You will receive an invoice from Zorginstituut Nederland each year.

The financial compensation required differs per country of residence. You will pay the contribution to the Central Administration Office (CAK).

An overview of residence factors for each country are found on the website of CAK.


For foreign students temporarily residing in The Netherlands that do not have a (part-time) job there are three options to ensure medical cover:

  • Use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) if you are from within the EU/EER or a treaty country (only for urgent medical care).
  • Use a healthcare insurance service from your country of origin that covers you whilst in The Netherlands
  • Choose a private student health insurance with medical cover in The Netherlands.

What do I need to take out a Dutch health insurance?

In order to successfully apply for a Dutch health insurance, the insurance company will need your personal information and social security number (BSN, burgerservicenummer) to complete your registration for an insurance policy.

You will usually receive your BSN when you register with the municipality. Furthermore, you will likely need a Dutch bank account and address in The Netherlands.

Was this information helpful?

Let us know through a Google review!