Healthcare allowance (zorgtoeslag)

People who live The Netherlands may be entitled for a healthcare allowance (zorgtoeslag). This benefit helps to cover the monthly premium payment for the Dutch health insurance.

Expats or students that are (temporarily) working in The Netherlands can also apply for the healthcare allowance.


An overview of the conditions in order to be entitled for the healthcare benefit:

  • You are at least 18 years old
  • You have a compulsory Dutch health insurance
  • You have an EU nationality or possess a valid residence/work permit
  • Your (combined) income does not exceed the threshold amount (see below)
  • Your combined capital is not too high

Income requirements

Your (and your partners) income may not be too high In order to be entitled for the healthcare allowance.

These are the threshold amounts:

  • Up to 29.562 euro (for singles)
  • Up to 37.885 euro combined (for you and your spouse/partner)

The combined income is applicable when the two of you:

  • Live together with someone in a non-rented house
  • Live together and have a marriage or cohabitation contract

How much allowance do I receive?

How much healthcare benefit you receive, depends on your (combined) income. The following graphs provide an indication for 2019.

healthcare benefit 2019

If you have an income partner, the healthcare allowance changes:

healthcare benefit 2019 partners

When do I receive my allowance?

The healthcare allowance is transferred to your bank account around the 20th, 21st, 22st or 23rd day of every month.

For example:

You will receive the healthcare allowance for September 2019 on the 20th of August.

How to apply?

You can apply for a healthcare benefit though the website of the Dutch tax authority. You will need a DigiD for this.

During the application process, some questions will be asked about your age, income and marital status.

You can also apply for zorgtoeslag for any previous years (if applicable).

Any changes in your situations, for example an increase income, can be transmitted to the tax authority’s website.

Was this information helpful?

Let us know through a Google review!